Home Map E-mail
 
Eng |  Հայ |  Türk |   Рус  |  Fr  

Home
Main
Delegations
Site map
Feedback
Contacts
Links
Pre-Genocide Armenia
History of Armenia
Pre-Genocide photos
Armenian Genocide
What is Genocide
Armenian Genocide
Chronology
Photos of Armenian Genocide
Mapping Armenian Genocide
Cultural Genocide
Remember
Documents
American
British
German
Russian
French
Austrian
Turkish

Research
Bibliography
Survivors Stories
Eye-Witnesses
Media
Quotations
Public Lectures
Recognition
States
International organizations
Provincial governments
Public petitions
Mission Statement
Director`s message
Press-releases
Museum G-Brief
Interviews
News
Conferences
Events of AGMI
Year of Book 
Lemkin scholarship 
Meet the Alumni 
Most Read 
   Museum
Museum Info
Plan a visit
Permanent exhibition
Temporary exhibition
Online exhibition  
Memorial postcards  
   Institute
Goals & Endeavors
Publications
AGMI Journals  
Library
AGMI collection
   Tsitsernakaberd Complex
Description and History
Memorial complex photos
Remembrance day
Friends of AGMI Foundation
 

Armenian General Benevolent Union
All Armenian Fund
National Academy of Sciences of Armenia
Public Radio of Armenia
Armenian News Agency
ARMEDIA  Information, Analytical Agency
Inhomage
armin
armin
armin
armin
armin




Press-releases


28 March 2007

On March 29, 2007 the official inauguration of the renovated Armenian Church of Surb Khach (St. Cross) will take place on the island of Akhtamar.

The church of St. Cross is one of the grand masterpieces of medieval Armenian architecture in the Vaspurakan region. Built in 10th century by Architect Manuel, the church had been a part of the medieval Royal Premises, also functioning as the Holy See of the Akhtamar Catholicosate since 1113A.D., and continued its existence as such until 1895.

The monument has suffered great damaged throughout its long history. In 1915, as a result of the Armenian Genocide by the Ottoman Empire, the Van Lake region was “ethnically cleansed” of Armenians, thousands of churches, schools and other official buildings were demolished, converted into mosques or used for other purposes. Modern day Turkey is home to ancient Armenian cities and towns that have had their names systematically erased and/or changed; Akhtamar was changed into Akdamar.

This initiative of the Turkish government is apparently intended to influence the world public opinion by propaganda and aims at neutralizing the worldwide campaign for the recognition of the Armenian Genocide.

The same Turkish government that restored this 10th century Armenian church, in 2002 converted the Arakelots (St. Apostles’) church in Kars into a mosque which remains closed for the Armenian believers and pilgrims.

During the last 90 years the Armenian Christian cultural heritage, in contrary to the stipulations of the Lausanne Treaty and other international commitments assumed by Turkey, has been systematically destroyed or appropriated by Turkish authorities.

Sadly enough, we speak in past tense of such masterpieces of Armenian medieval architecture such as the Tekor Temple (5th century), Varagavank (10th century), the Churches of Surb Arakelots (11th century) and Surb Karapet (4-12th cc.) of Mush, Khtzkonk (10-13th cc.), Narekavank (10th century) and others, which are currently in complete destruction.

We do hope that the Turkish government from now on will pay more serious attention to the Armenian cultural heritage on the territories depopulated of Armenians as a consequence of genocide. We also hope that this event is not a single event but is a part of the new policies by the Turkish government towards the Armenian cultural monuments suffered as a result of the genocide.



Follow us



Virtual Museum

International meeting

genocide
The Comparative Analysis of the 20th Century Genocides
International Association of Genocide Scholars
The twelfth meeting
8-12 July 2015, Yerevan

LEMKIN SCHOLARSHIP

Lemkin
AGMI ANNOUNCES 2015
LEMKIN SCHOLARSHIP FOR FOREIGN STUDENTS

International Conference

genocide
The Caucasus Frontline of the First World War.
Genocide, Refugees and Humanitarian Assistance


Yerevan, April 21-22, 2014

Temporary exhibition

FIRST
FIRST WORLD WAR: allies, images, massacres
In April 21-th, 2014, the Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute is organizing a temporary exhibition presenting hundreds of newly found original caricatures, postcards, posters, etc, representing a unique iconography condemning Turkey as a country that committed Genocide.

Temporary exhibition

genocide
CHILDREN VICTIMS OF THE ARMENIAN GENOCIDE

In 2014 the Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute for the first time is organizing a temporary exhibition dedicated to the tragic faith of the children victims of the Armenian Genocide.

Remember

remember
Asadur Haytayan, was born in the village of Datem (Western Armenia, Kharberd province). He was one of the leading public figures in the village. In 1915 he was arrested, tortured, and killed by the Turks. A victim of Armenian Genocide.

INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ARMENIAN GENOCIDE STUDIES  

INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ARMENIAN GENOCIDE STUDIES
RA, Armenia Yerevan 0028
Tsitsernakaberd memorial complex
Tel: (374 10) 39 09 81
Fax: (374 10) 39 10 41
    2007-2014 © The Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute     E-mail: info@genocide-museum.am